Thursday, September 17, 2009

First School-Friend Birthday Party

To begin from the beginning. When we went to the step-up day the Friday before school started one of the moms gave everyone in Alicia's class an invite to an upcoming birthday party for her son. My first reactions were mixed - it was pirate themed so I wondered if inviting the girls was just more out of courtesy and we didn't even know the kid or his parents yet but since everyone in the class was invited it would be a good chance to get to know everyone in an informal situation. At last I came to the conclusion that basically entailed "why not" especially because Alicia had been curious about the invitation and I had the big mouth to explain to her what it was.

The invitation included the idea to dress up pirate style for the party so thanks so some friends when the big day came Alicia was ready to go.The problem began as soon as her pirate outfit was on "mommy I look like a boy", no matter what anyone else tried to say or how we tried to make it look more feminine it just didn't work. At last she compromised when I told her we could bring extra clothes she could change into when we got there if she felt uncomfortable.

So compromise made we head out the door in the rain to a party that was supposed to be out doors, wondering if they're even going to have it. We arrive a few minutes later and climb out of the van to be greeted by her classmate who had chosen not to wear his pirate outfit. Actually the only ones that were dressed up were some little girls as princesses. Alicia didn't even make it through the doorway before she realized this and froze still until I took her back to the van to change into her normal clothes.

Now dressed as herself we arrive at the doorway again. Alicia is still quite terrified by all of the people that she doesn't know and soon enough we realize that she is the only one from her class that came. This basically meant that everyone else was friends/family and we were kind of the odd ducks but once inside it's difficult to leave without being impolite and even though I asked her often if she wanted to leave she was determined to stick it out (mostly by refusing to talk to anyone and clinging to me desperately). I will give the birthday kid kudo's he really did make an effort to try and come and get her to play with everyone else. She did have some fun (mostly just with me) when the rain let up and everyone got to go outside - the family had a zipline and a scooter that Alicia thought were pretty cool). I honestly felt bad all the way around, it was just one of those situations that had to be labled awkword for everyone but survival was the end result and Alicia did enjoy the treats and birthday cake.

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious. Sorry it turned out to be akward, that was a genious idea to bring a change of clothes.

    ReplyDelete