Monday, July 6, 2009

Independence Day - Part 1 Boston

I have to say that our Independence Day turned out very little like I had thought it would. Still it was a wonderful day and we had lots of fun family time. We drove down to the Boston Temple first thing in the morning - on a side note, yes, I knew that it would be closing soon for cleaning but for some reason I thought I had heard it was closing on the 7th. So anyways we arrived and it was empty and instantly I realized my mistake. By this time we were all aching for a chance to stretch our legs a bit so we decided to walk around for a while and look at the gardens and take some pictures etc. Of course the battery on my camera goes dead and when I put in the back up battery we found out that I had forgotten to charge it after last time. Needless to say I didn't feel very intelligent.
Still we made the best out of it and after driving around a bit decided to go and visit the Lexington Green where the 1st shots of the Revolution were fired. I love that area and the deep roots of our nation's history that were there. To walk those roads I can not help but pause and marvel at the dedication of those great men and be thankful for their sacrifice and willingness to defend the cause of freedom. There was a tree near the green that was unmarked but it was so huge and magnificent that it must have been there since at least the time of the revolution if not before. I just had to touch it and if I could have gotten away with hugging it and not looking completely ridiculous I would have. Once again I sighed at myself for not planning and checking my camera before we left.

No comments:

Post a Comment