Thursday, June 2, 2011

Saying goodbye to Alice


About 17 years ago my Mother wrote this brief outline of her life to that point that she was to give as a speech to a group of women in our church- in her words:

"...Having been born of Yankee parents who survived the Great Depression and who believed that idle hands were the Devil's workshop, I learned to talk, walk, formulate ideas, work math problems, and hang wall paper at the same time.

"My Mom became a missionary for the Child Evangelism Fellowship after my dad died when I was seven. Her love for work and strong beliefs became mine. Her teachings also became the foundation for my love of people and my current testimony even though we differ on doctrine. Working with my mother also helped me learn how to speak in public.

"After growing up in my Mother's home, basic training in the military was a breeze. I served a total for 14 years, both in the Air Force and in the Army. I originally joined to play my trumpet in the Air Force Band, but was reassigned after cost cuts. I then learned how to be a clerk for the Office of Information. I also learned security and eventually found may way into the Army where my civilian training as a paramedic was recognized and I helped write the training programs for some of the first Emergency Medical Technicians in the Vietnam War. I learned early that there will always be a right way, a wrong way, and a his-her-my-their (or military) way to accomplish any task, and that I always have the last word - "Yes, Sir or Ma'am." I learned to live by a schedule, and rejoice in the freedom it created for me.

"Enduring the loss of one husband, one son, two dads, assorted grandparents and miscellaneous other relatives has helped me place priorities in proper perspective. Surviving said losses has helped me appreciate waking up every day to the touch of those I love and the joy of another opportunity to meet the measure of my creation.

"Enjoying listening to what I call music, singing, children, details, paperwork, and my family are to be treasured at at any moment. Watching my...daughter grow into a young lady, and my skills redefined as I learn to accept new values outside my comfort zone are to be enjoyed and savored.

"I am currently employed part-time in the College Relations Office of Lake-Sumter Community College.... I am also a student working toward my A.S. in Graphic Design. As a student, I am editor of... out college newspaper, co-editor and computer design editor of... the student humanities magazine, and I serve on the Student Activities Budget Committee.

"The smell of bacon cooking, sewing with my serger, designing on my MAC (I know how to use an IBM, I choose not to!), the sound of children laughing, an opportunity to give or receive a hug, and a chance to help someone because so many have helped me will always be on my 'plus' list. Also I love to go to the Temple. Even though I rejoice in the opportunity to live within an hour of our beautiful Orlando Temple, I will miss those wonderful trips to Washington and later to Atlanta. What a joy to travel with and get to know my wonderful sisters.

"Lest you think I am perfect, and I have tried hard to give you the impression that I am, let me share my dark side. I hate housework (my husband thinks this), gardening (my plants, or lack of living ones confirm this), meetings (only those with no purpose or point), and I have been told that my vocabulary is limited to two words on many occasions - 'Handle it!' For me to follow the prophet's admonition in the first three areas is a pure struggle at times (most times). Enduring injustice, wearing pantyhose, standing in line, listening to what I don't consider music, and listening to 'poor-me' stories are also things that I try to avoid.

"I do try to walk tall in quiet dignity as a daughter of my Heavenly Father who loves me. I love, revere, and honor the Priesthood. I am blessed to have a wonderful husband who honors his Priesthood and in whom I have a best friend as well as spiritual leader...."
Mom never did get to finish her A.S. degree, and she never did get to make it to the temple as often as she would have liked but she did serve and love for many years in many ways. She never had an easy life but faced all things with hope in the love, atonement, and resurrection of Christ that allowed her to recognize them as tests on her way to eternity. Now that she has passed her last tests of mortality those of us who have been blessed to know her continue on, strengthened by her continual dedication to self-improvement, her unconquerable strength of purpose, her great love, and her everlasting faith in God.

Thanks Mom, for everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment