Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Winter with the Kids

Today was actually a nice day considering that it's February in Vermont. The kids and I were at home for the day while I worked on a paper that was due for my class. I took a little break before at about 11:30 this morning and came out to find Ryan snuggled up on the floor of the living room with Alicia's blanket, pillow, and bunny. Apparently he had decided it was nap time and crashed while I was working and Alicia had one of her cute big sister moments when she decided that he needed to be all wrapped up and snuggled. She also tells me that she decided to lay down with him for a while just to make sure he was okay.




This afternoon I finally gathered some courage and decided to embrace winter in Vermont. I guess I'm still a Florida girl because I've had a really hard time feeling okay about them playing outside when it's so cold. Last year I got especially bad because Ryan was little and he decided right off the bat that he and cold did not get along well. The kids have been getting a little restless and stir crazy though so we bundled up and headed out. Fortunately we've got enough area here for them to have fun playing right in the yard.


The kids had a blast for the first little bit. They ran around, ate snow, Alicia climbed all over the plow piles, while Ryan watched her with awe, we shoveled a path to the back of one of the piles in Phase I of an Igloo building project that we decided to undertake, and we even had a visit from our neighbor's dogs who just had to check out all the excitement. Even Daddy got a chance to join in the fun for a bit when he got home from work. The excitement did sort of crash quickly when Ryan decided he didn't want to wear his gloves, but he still wanted to eat snow and just couldn't understand why his hands were so cold. But we did have a nice fire to come back inside to and I made up some hot-cocoa... which resulted in Ryan learning how to say "cocoa" because he kept begging for more. All in all, a good time.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Debbie - nice images - both the photos and the anecdotes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Alicia "decided to lay down with him for a while just to make sure he was okay." Lol, that little princess is one fabulous big sister!

    ReplyDelete