Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Because some things are hereditary...

When I was about 2 or 3 I can still remember walking through our little hallway just seconds before I burned the back of my hand on our kerosene heater and gave myself a scar that I still have. When I was older I also ended up badly burning my hand again in a different spot (that thankfully healed much better) and later burning my ankle. Well, it seems like I've passed on my ability to be totally clueless about the concept of hot=don't touch.

Back at the end of February I was working on the computer when all of the sudden Ry started screaming from the other side of the kitchen counter. I went and checked on him and figured he must have been trying to climb on the
counter and fallen off and scared himself. No biggie... handed him off to Mark and figured I didn't need to worry.

A while later he's still screaming and starts begging for me to come and hold him. I did and eventually through some in-cohesive mumblings that mostly centered around "I fine, just want cuddles" and "I need hot, or I hot" as he pulled the blanket tightly around him, he went to sleep. Since it was around naptime I figured maybe just it was just combination of shock from falling off and needing a nap.

Less than 15 minutes later he's up again still pretty distraught. Now I was certain something serious was happening so I started in on the usual questions, does anything
hurt? do you feel okay? to which all I got was that he's fine, just needs cuddles still. Meanwhile I'm trying to look him over and figure out what is going on. At last I spot his hand. On it is a blister. Thinking I had brilliantly solved the mystery at last - although confused about how he pinched himself I went to get a bandaid. As I looked at the hand more though I realized that the whole circle of his palm was red.
Finally I smacked myself in the head and realized that he burned himself although my efforts to confirm this information with him resulted in only a long series of "I dunno". Turns out that he actually got both palms with 2nd degree burns on the toaster oven that had been used a few minutes before the incident.


We got him lathered up with some aloe that we had on hand and then went to the store to grab some wraps and Vitamin E and redid him there. As a special treat we all went to Friendlies. By that point whatever pain he may have had was pretty much gone and he was just having a blast showing off his new mummified hands to everyone. It was pretty much like that for a week or so as he continued healing nicely.
Now you can't even really tell that anything happened. Good thing kids bounce back well. I'm still hoping that he'll avoid my pattern and get it on try 1 instead of try 3. Somehow, I'm not thinking it'll happen. Guess I'd better keep that Vitamin E on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment