This year Alicia's class had 5 special field trip days.
1st Field Trip: Wellwood Orchards/Woods Cider Mill
This one was actually way back in October and I didn't make it to this one so I don't have pictures, but the kids from both Kindergarten classes had a blast up at Wellwood Orchards and Woods Cider Mill picking apples and seeing the cider press. I'm not sure if Alicia enjoyed the apples or getting to see our friends that own the cider mill more. Just the week before Alicia had been spotlighted and chosen our friend Marina whose family runs the mill as the person she admired so the class got to meet her and it was a lot of fun.
2nd Field Trip: Tour of old Weathersfield School Houses/Weathersfield Historical Society
Alicia's favorite part of this trip was getting to meet the Weathersfield Panther. This panther is quite old and has become part of the Weathersfield legends. I thought it was interesting that this was her favorite part because when I was just a little older than she is I became obsessed with researching the Florida Panther and have since then always held a fondness for the big cats.3rd Field Trip: Ascutney Mountain Hospital/Simon Pierce Glass and Pottery Factory/Local Farm.


11 Kids, 3 Adults through Simon Pierce was an experience not to be forgotten. I really have to say I can't believe how well they did. The kids loved seeing them use time honored techniques to create beautiful works of art. They even came up with a bag of clay that was divided up for the kids to bring home and have some fun with. The kids also had the opportunity to tour through one of our local hospitals and see many of the different ways that people can be helped there. After we had lunch we got to go to a local farm that raises cattle and other animals. The kids had fun with the animals - especially some young ducks/geese that decided to follow them around.

4th Field Trip: School Field Day at Echo Lake
This was a field trip for the entire school K-8 and included many parents and siblings as well. It was cold, crazy and fun. Alicia decided (thankfully) to opt out of the water because it was freezing even dry with our sweaters on. I drove up with another mom friend and we brought Ryan and her youngest along for the day. The girls rode up on the busses but decided to relax and come home with us. I think everyone was worn out by the end of the day!5th Field Trip: Pet Store/Wal-Mart/Pizza Hut
Sound a little unusual? It was. The day was so crazy I didn't even get to break out the camera! The kids had a lot of fun though. Their last science module dealt with oceans and water so in the pet store we got to look at all of the animals, talk about where they lived and which ones were our favorites etc. Alicia was especially excited because in the reptile room they had a baby boa constrictor and she had just memorized and recited Boa Constrictor by Shell Silverstein for school. After the pet store we went to WalMart and purchased a variety of supplies some of it was for soldiers and their familes. The rest was part of a program called Share Our World where the kids purchased a variety of personal care items and school supplies to send to other parts of the world that have a need. It was really interesting to see the kids trying to work through getting the things they wanted on a budget. Lastly the kids had a blast at Pizza Hut at the all you can eat Buffet as a reward for all of the reading that they've done this year. Once again, the kids really impressed me with their good behavior while they still had a good time.
I'm just so thankful to the wondeful friends who stepped in and took care of Ryan during so much of this and allowed me a little time to just be "Alicia's Mommy."
No comments:
Post a Comment